Thursday, July 3, 2008

Bread, Bread, and more Bread


I started baking all of our bread. We decided to do this because the stuff in most commercial breads should not be put in our bodies and it is way cheaper to bake it myself. We have been making a big effort to eat healthy whole foods and to do this frugally.

Bonus... what is better than fresh bread out of the oven. I am very much an amateur, but the bread goes fast and I am enjoying the challenge. It has been very rewarding for me.


The Apprentices




I start by grinding wheat berries into the flour.
The bread is so fresh this way and I know exactly what is in it.




kneading the dough... gotta love modern convince.

The bread baking pros are looking down their noses at me.




100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread





Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread






Classic Sourdough Boule

I used my own sourdough starter. That was fun... for a few days, I thought I may be making beer instead of sourdough starter.



I also baked some cracked wheat and flaxseed rolls that I brought to a potluck... forgot to get a pic. They turned out pretty good. My plan is to bake one day a week and freeze the dough so we can have fresh bread several times a week.

My grandma gave me the loaf pans awhile ago and it feels great to be baking our bread in pans she used for her family. I hope she is proud.

No comments: